Tuesday, March 31, 2009

" I wish it was your chili I was gettin' fat on. "

Loved it.

Charlton Heston. Hilarious!

I pulled up this video of the Trailer.

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi33489177/

take a look.

Anyways. I did really like this movie. As far as I know it was my first time seeing an Orson Welles film. I really liked the opening shot and how long it was. There was something about it that was really eerie...I was sitting just waiting for the car to blow up. Now?...how about...now?? Then...finally.

For some reason I really liked the scene where Welles' character went to the bar where Joanna Moore is. I don't know...there's something about that scene that was interesting...I don't know if it was the joke with the whole "lay off the candy bars" thing..or if it was the strange...intriguing interaction between her and him...as if they had a past.

The scene where the wife is in that motel with the gang of guys is just plain weird..maybe not weird but...creepy and scary ?
And that obnoxious guy who couldn't stop his finger snapping and giggling around...he was just soooo into those tunes. .. Buuuuut...the part where the guys take the wife out of the room...yeah it was rather disturbing...not as disturbing as it could have been but still..

I remember in the beginning of the reading from "Lemme stay, I want to watch," it talked about the idea of fear and anxiety and then desire / fantasy. You get all of this with this film...and it really is like playing a game of tug-o-war. When watching I enjoyed it but then if you stepped back for a little bit it was easy to feel a little stressed by what was going on. For instance when I spoke earlier about the scene where the gang barges in on the wife in the motel room and takes her. Rather scary! Then, the scene where Welles and the Mexican was standing in the room with the wife in the bed...the camera angles and the shadows/ darkness of the room , then the light coming in and out from the street was just soooo cool and sooo eerie they really did a great job with this scene. You really get the sense of anxiety and I feel in a strange way you also get a sense of maybe desire and fantasy with this scene.

3 comments:

  1. I never thought of it in the way of playing tug-o- war. Interesting. I guess I never felt that sense of anxiety because I was never really into the film from the beginning. Maybe if it started out differently I could have become more involved within the film. I don't know, I still say Tourist Trap was more entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice summary/analysis here.

    What do you think was going on with the fantasy aspect of the motel scene?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bar scene kills me. Some of those lines Welles has are golden. I agree about the scene with the sleeping woman on the bed. Cool angles. Throughout there are a lot of strange angles, and I mean that as a compliment.

    ReplyDelete